Supplemental prenatal and postpartum consultations with Beth Barbeau
A mother myself, I believe that every woman deserves to be respectfully attended in pregnancy, with time for her questions and the support to grow confident in her abilities. While homebirth has been proven to be a very safe (and even the safest) choice for most women, for many reasons it is not a choice that a majority of women feel they can or wish to make at this time. Many women have chosen to work with me to supplement their medical care/hospital birth with high-quality midwifery prenatal care, expressing that they wanted:
- Time to explore all of their questions
- There’s lots of Internet information, for instance, but how does it relate to you? And is it accurate or credible?
- Detailed nutritional information and personalized guidance
- Warm emotional support throughout the pregnancy and postpartum
- Hands-on care lacking in other settings
- Quality information to help ease fears and look forward to birth
- Help processing & integrating past birth experiences
- To normalize their pregnancy experience
- To have an experienced guide educate them about the important aspects of normal pregnancy and natural childbirth
- A place where they could “let down their guard” or allow themselves to be “high needs.”
- A relationship with a birth advocate to help them get the most out of their birth experience and early parenting
- Someone who would include the family in pregnancy care – showing the father how to palpate or check dilation, or include the children in developmentally appropriate ways.
- Help strategizing postpartum recovery and support
Consultations are available by the hour ($75) or package (4 visits for $275, for instance). Many are able to use their Health Flex Spending Accounts to cover such care. Many consults also include related handouts and the use of teaching aids and multi-media materials.